Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Arthur Moore Arthur Moore Australia (7/22/2014 8:58:00 PM)

The Little Maid Content. Hello everyone, When I was growing up my mother used to quote me this poem whenever I felt lost or was searching for meaning in my life. I don't believe she ever knew the poet's name and unfortunately I only remember the last lines of the poem myself. The narrator, using the little maid Content (contentment) as a metaphor to describe the meaning of life, goes in search of this elusive 'truth'. He cannot find it in the most exalted places, and the lowest of hovels reveal nothing either. On the battleground there is no sign of it, while the quietest of cloisters leave him perplexed as to its whereabouts. The poem ends, 'At last I like wounded bird did homeward crawl, and lo, Content sat spinning at my door. And when I asked her where she was before, " here all the time, she cried, " and though I called, you neither saw nor heard." ' If anyone recognizes this poem, please let me know. I would be so thankful.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Laura Burns Freshman - 2nd Stage (7/23/2014 9:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The poem is " Content Written Off Ithaca" by Alfred Austin. You can find it on this site by looking for the title under " Poems" or by looking for Alfred Austin under " Poets."

Replies for this message:
    • Arthur Moore Rookie - 1st Stage (7/24/2014 8:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Laura, I'm very grateful for this information. You are truly an oracle when it comes to poets and poems. Reading through the messages, I see you have provided so many people with answers to their quer ... more

[Hata Bildir]