Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Denise Thorud Female, 48, United States (8/16/2013 11:56:00 AM)

There's a poem my dad heard recited by an older coworker some 40 years ago. It has become somewhat of a family " thing" , being passed on to me then my son and recited in a few community talent shows. He's just never known the title or author and also knows there's a few stanzas of hobo names he's forgotten. This is all I know:

" Back in 1900, as everybody knows, Utah and Wyoming were (fairly sworn with bows?) . They came from North south east and west, and ever state you mention, The reason why they gathered there, was to hold the bum's convention. I grabbed a freight that very night, a fast freight to Chicago. but the brakeman threw me off, at a little town called Fargo.. As I sat along the track, a fireman came along and said, son, climb that water tower and sign your monogram..As I climbed that water tower, there in the names of chalk, were the names of every hobo, from Frisco to New York. Toot toot there goes my westbound freight, I must be on my way, if you're not here when I return, I bid you all gooday.

Has ANYBODY ever heard this or know who wrote it? That info would be one of the best presents my 70 yr old dad could get. Thanks for any and all help.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

[Hata Bildir]