Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Laura Burns United States (3/17/2013 4:15:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

THE BUTTERCUPS

Just where the rainbow touches earth,
There stands a pot of gold;
And, long ago, a man passed by
And found it, we are told.

He took the little golden coins
And put them in a sack,
And through the meadow trudged along,
The bag upon his back.

Now, in the bag there was a hole,
And soon the gold fell out,
And, 'mid the grasses, as he went,
Was scattered all about.

It was Midsummer Evening,
And fairies in the grass
Had seen the dropping bits of gold
And watched the miser pass.

And so each fairy merrily
A shining bit picked up,
And, in a twinkling, changed it to
A yellow buttercup.

This comes from Great Britain's Royal Geographic Society's Primary Education, vol.15, where the author is given as S.W.B.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Colette Dunne (4/12/2013 7:46:00 AM) Post reply

A big thank you! I too have been - on and off - looking for this poem for the past 10 years since my daughter was born. My mother, who would have been 93 this month, and from the west coast of Ireland, would recite this poem to me whenever a rainbow appeared. No longer here to ask her I thought that I had forgotten a section of it - turns out its just 2 lines towards the end. I can now pass on a very special and magical family tradition. And for my lovely mammy, Annie Kate - always in my heart and never forgotten. Thank you.

• Sandra Needham (3/20/2013 5:25:00 AM) Post reply

Wonderful. This was taught to my mother-in-law and her sister at school in Ireland so many years ago, and whilst both remembered much of the poem they could never put it all together. You have no idea how many web sites I have trawled through over the past couple of years, including approaching the Irish National Library, and I had given up the quest. Mother-in-law brought up the subject yet again last week, reciting what she could remember and saying how her sister's family had also been looking for it so I thought it worth one more go. You will have made an entire family extremely happy - many thanks for posting your reply, it really is more appreciated that I can say here.

[Hata Bildir]