Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Errol Haughton (3/30/2005 1:05:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hello all,
    I am a new member, looking for a poem from my long pass youth.I was a nine year old, at school in rural Jamaica when introduced to this poem.The said year I was sent to England to join parents. I can't recall the name of the poet or the name of the poem. However, it was a discriprion of Cloumbus's first sighting of Jamaica, or someone on board his ship. Bear with me as I may have some of the spellings wrong........ 'In front a mighty ciba hault to sentinel the land. Far off, dim, distant muted tide wash round a silent strand. Like clouds in dream the white foams grows, fainting on the far off reefs. Sound founders in this space or air......with oacean's grief. And, all is silent save the wind fine sound harp of trees, and some way-faring village shout a vagrant on the breeze. By grass field gold intintured green the daker gongoo spreads................. the western sun shivering lance has struck through quivering leaves.......the forest rank emarshall sweep over yonder mountain head.....

All I can remember, help me recall my youth.

• Hidden Yeti (3/21/2005 5:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hello all.
    I am new here and I am afraid my first request will be a tough one.
    I have searched the internet high and low and have come up empty, so I am turning you for help. I am looking for a poem which I believe is called 'Thirteen Year Old Girl', author unknown to me. I can offer only the synopsis of what I remember and one small snippet which I cannot be sure is an accurate quote - but here goes.
    The poem has a young girl sitting at a window looking out at what I believe is a springtime scene. In the background she hears the Ronettes playing on the radio - the song is 'Be My Baby Now.' I believe she is thinking about boys (big surprise for a 13 year old huh?) . There is one piece of a line that I think I remember almost intact - she sees a bird...

'jump [into the air? from the branch? I don't remember.] with an odd alcarity, as if it knew just what it was doing'.

I am so mad at myself for losing this poem. Even madder for not memorizing something that meant so much to me. I would be in your debt if you can help me find it again.

Peace to you all,
    Hidden Yeti

• Sunnie Taylor (3/18/2005 7:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I am searching rampantly for this poem I was in love with during a very hard time in my life, and I only remember a few lines from it. Those lines are:

'Let liars fear, let cowards shrink, let traitors turn around. Whatever we have dared to think that dare we also say.'

Anyone know which poem that is? Someone please help. Its driving me insane.

• Sara O (3/18/2005 11:21:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I am looking for a poem that I can't remember very well. It talks about everyone in life passing by you affecting you in some way or another. If anyone could help it would be so appreciated! Thanks :)

• Vivek Naithani (3/16/2005 9:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

hi fellows..
    there was this poem..don't remember the exact lines but something like...
    'all i want in life...is a cabin by the lake to entertain a friend'..
    i know it's too vague..but if anyone get it...please help me out

Replies for this message:
    • Peter A. Crowther (3/17/2005 12:30:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Is it this one - 'The Lake of Innisfree' by W.B. Yeats? It's got a cabin and a lake :) I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made; ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Angelo Fragapane (3/15/2005 7:44:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I am trying to find the poem, 'My Birthday'.

The first stanza:

Beneath the moonlight and the snow
    Lies dead my latest year;
    The winter winds are wailing low
    Its dirges in my ear.

I think that the poet was John Greenleaf Whitter.

Thanks for your help in finding it.

Angelo Fragapane

• Robert Brash (3/14/2005 9:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am trying to find an interpretation of a poem by Tatamkhulu Afrika - I think the poem was called 'My Village' and the interpretation was by Karl Mercer? ? Can anyone help. I am actually looking for some of Karl Mercer's poems

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Frances Maw (3/11/2005 1:20:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Looking for poems suitable for choral work. Infants (5-7 yrs) , Lower primary(8-9yrs) Upper Primary (10-11yrs) australian country tow eisteddfod- nothing too heavy- humour would be great.
    Frances maw

• Ramond Ramond (3/11/2005 1:11:00 AM) Post reply Stage

one of the apothegm poems by Friedrich von Schiller in 1796.
    I need its standard English version.
    The title is 'Fountain (od spring?) of Youth'
    The content might be:
    Trust me, it's not the myth:
    There is really a Youth Fountain flowing everlastingly.
    You question me: where is it?
    -It's contained in the poetic arts.

This is my version. I need expert version.

• Kevin Krueger (3/10/2005 12:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I don't know if this is really a 'looking for a poem' subject, but I am currently writing a research paper on Ted Hughes for my senior year of high school. I have looked everywhere, and I cannot find which collections the five poems I chose came from, the poems being 'Wind, ' 'Hawk Roosting, ' 'Bride and Groom Lie Hidden for Three Days, ' 'Tractor, ' and 'The Harvest Moon.' If anyone could let me know where I can find which collections they came from, or if you can let me know the actual collections it would be much appreciated.

[Hata Bildir]