Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Teresa Dickhoner (9/21/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem I memorized in high school. I can only remember bits and pieces of it. High school graduation was nearly 30 years ago.

'I was a roman, he was but a Jew, yet there he hung between heaven and earth.'

'Stop my ears oh, Father for I can hear his blood drip to the ground.'

'One cried the veil is rent in the temple.'

'Truly this was the Son of God.'

My memory tells me the poem was titled 'The Roman Soilder'.

• Marcus Finch (9/18/2005 6:08:00 AM) Post reply

Hello Im new to this board and I would appreciate your help

I am looking forward to complete a poem that impressed me a lot when I first read it.It could have been like 10-15 years ago, in Interview Magazine, and it started like this

Sometimes I look up to the sky
    And wonder why we have to die
    They say there is a heaven there
    But this belief I do not share

It continued for 8 or 12 more verses I guess.
    I would like to know the rest of the poem, who wrote it and if he/she has written something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

M

• Jordan Bundy (9/15/2005 1:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello! Ok, I'm trying to find this poem, but I don't remember the title or author. I know it has to do with advice being given, apparently from a father to a son. The advice is about becoming a man, and the poem is several verses long. Generally it talks about standing against any opposition for the sake of truth, I think. For some reason I seem to remember that the last line is 'only then will you become a man my son.' Or it's something like 'only then can you be called a man...' I'm not sure. Please help! I also seem to remember it was by a well known poet. Any ideas?
    -JB

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • C Rose (9/13/2005 3:52:00 PM) Post reply

Hi there,
    I am looking for a poem. It is about the passing of a husband, and how he pre-arranges to send his wife flowers, or a puppy or something after his death? ? ? Does anyone know of this poem. It has been passed around in e-mail a couple of times.

I am also looking for the name of a famous cowboy poem? ? ? I'll know it when I see it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Gail Herbest (9/4/2005 1:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for the name and author of a poem, I am not sure how it starts off, but it has to do with wanting to be woke up even in the middle of the night if his friend see's or hears something so that he can share in the experiance, dont let me sleep, knock at my door something to that effect. When I was younger this was my all time favorite poem I cant beleive I have to ask which one it is! ! : -)
    Thank You Gail

• Kathlyn Horan (9/19/2005 11:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think this is the poem you're looking for.. I happened to be looking for this poem too-I remembered the same images you did and had no luck finding it on the internet. Luckily I had a copy shoved ... more

• David Clough (9/4/2005 11:55:00 AM) Post reply

The following poem is quoted in an essay by Richard Hugo. Could anyone tell me the author of the poem, please.
    Rattlesnake

I found him sleepy in the heat
    And dust of a gopher burrow,
    Coiled in loose folds upon silence
    In a pit of the noonday hillside.
    I saw the wedged bulge
    Of the head hard as a fist.
    I remembered his delicate ways:
    The mouth a cat's mouth yawning.

I crushed him deep in dust,
    And heard the loud seethe of life
    In the dead beads of the tail
    Fade, as wind fades
    From the wild grain of the hill.

• Stephanie Sorrell (9/3/2005 2:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a compleyte poem by Jane Kenyon. I have what I believe to be the initial verse here: ... with the wonder
    and bitterness of someone pardoned
    for a crime she did not commit
    I come back to marriage and friends,
    to pink fringed hollyhocks; come back
    to my desk, books and chair....

Although I don't know the poem's title, I believe it comes from a collection entitled, CONSTANCE]
    Iwould be most grateful if someone could enlighten me on this.... Thank you

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Jason Madsen (9/1/2005 3:14:00 PM) Post reply

I have the poem...I have the title, I just can't find the poet!

Who wrote this? It's called 'Preference'

Preference

I likes a woman
    six or eight and ten years older'n myself.
    I don't fool with those young girls.
    Young girls'l say,
    Daddy, I want so-and-so.
    I needs this, that, and the other.
    But a old woman'll say,
    Honey, what does YOU need?
    I just drawed my money tonight
    and it's all your'n.
    That's why I likes an older woman
    who can appreciate me;
    When she conversations you,
    it ain't forever, Gimme!

• Dawn Rose (8/30/2005 8:39:00 AM) Post reply

Hello - SO desperately looking for this poem about an adult caring for an infant crying in the night. The poem starts off as a lullabye, builds into pleading for the child to got to sleep, and descends into nonsense as the adult becomes exhausted, but maintains the rhyme and metre. I loved it but don't know the title, don't know who it was by. Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Dawn Rose

• Caitlin Cardwell (8/29/2005 9:53:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem, and I only vaguely remember a single line, and I'm not entirely sure I have it right!
    It goes something like: [because? ]...I'm in love, and love doesn't (don't?) keep...

[Hata Bildir]