Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Sarah Breden (10/28/2005 10:56:00 AM) Post reply

I have been looking for a poem for a good few years now and dont know the title or the author but wordered if anyone could help me. All I know is that it must be old as my grandma used to say it to me. The dits I remember are: - There off there off the race has begun
    there silken colours they flash in the sun

'It isnt a fortune but Oh its so sweet
    And you cant come to grief when the favorates meet.'

Hope someone can help me Many Thanks

• Melissa Morgan (10/27/2005 11:18:00 AM) Post reply

Does anyone know the name of the Bukowski poem, the one where he lists all the reasons one should not be a writer? It's kind of humorous. I couldn't find it here though, and I don't know the title, or if it has one.

• Mike Cox (10/27/2005 3:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am searching for a poem to print on a remeberance card for my grandmothers funeral. I would like something that reminds everyone of her and conveys that she is still here in all of us. She was the head of a large family about 60 people. She always wanted family to stick together and help each other. She was quite opiniated and spoke her mind. She was a leader in the community, the administrator of a nursing home for 30 years and the first female city commisioner in the city I live in. If anyone has a suggestion PLEASE PLEASE email me at the address below. I was just asked to do this for her funeral and only have 2 more days to find one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Cox
    mike@zorfox.com

Replies for this message:
    • Sarah Breden (10/28/2005 11:05:00 AM) Post reply

I dont know if this helps but it helped me when I heard it Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there. I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamond glints on snow. ... more

• C Y (10/24/2005 1:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

ok im looking for a poem or quote. its about love. start off like '...my girlfriend asks me if i like her. i said no. Do u want me? i said no. she me asked me if i would cry if she left. i said no. she started to cry. As she walked away i grabbed her and told her i dont like you i love you. I dont want you i need you. i wouldnt cry if you left i would die...' not the exact word but its pretty close. if you guys can help me find the original one please post it or something

• Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

all i can say is ya gotta know when to cash in your chips now is good soon is good there is that nice place on nobel

• Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:38:00 PM) Post reply

all i can say is ya gotta know when to cash in your chips now is good soon is good there is that nice place on nobel

• Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:38:00 PM) Post reply

• Pat Bain (10/21/2005 12:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i am looking for a 'silly' little poem (prose?) that says, 'when i grow old i'll wear purple; or some such thing. it is for a funeral reading; grateful for any help

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Alex Wall (10/20/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

Hello everyone.

In planning my grandmother's funeral, my family have been trying, without success, to find a poem that she loved. WE can't remember anything about it except for it's title - 'The Day' - and that it was written around the time of WW1.

If anyone knows the poem I mean, or has an idea where I might find it, please email me at: captainslackbladder@hotmail.com - and win my eternal gratitude.

Thanks

Alex

• Beth Ludrum (10/8/2005 5:50:00 PM) Post reply

Hi,

I am looking for the original version and date of first publication of a poem titled 'Interview with God'.

Many different versions are available online but what I am after is the original one.

Thank you,

Beth

• Rob Diggins (10/6/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply

I'm looking for an old poem my Great Grandma used to recite. The poem starts:

'I went to bed by candlelight'.

Any clues on the title or auther? Thanks.

Rob

• Gary Baker (10/3/2005 10:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem about an Indian brave who takes an aged Indian squaw out into the woods one cold snowy night to let her die by exposure. It appeared in CAVALCADE OF POEMS published by Scholastic Magazine around 1960.

I am not able to recall the title or the wording of any lines.

Thanks.

• Julie Verri (10/3/2005 8:10:00 PM) Post reply

I am unable to remember the rest of this verse. Can anyone help me out.

There's a spot that's bathed in beauty,
    on the edge of Fossell Run,
    where the brumby's come to water
    when the summers day is done.
    Men come to steal their freedom,
    if the drought should have them weak.
    They muster along the rangers
    and the flats beside the creek
    Alas my proud wild beauty you go
    by trap and gun.
    But I'll miss you from the waters
    when the summers day is done.