Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Suhas Parandekar (12/8/2005 12:59:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem for which unfortunately I have very few clues. It had a part where there was a man on a ship going out to sea, there was probably a storm or a high wind and his hair was probably streaming in the wind. He might have been standing at the prow or at the helm, and he is gazing out in the mist or in driving rain, with a maniacal gleam in his eye, he has to do something, he is motivated by some internal or eternal instinct, and yet he could be safe and sound and taking care of those whom he loves, the poet asks an existential question, something like 'madman or saint' or 'mad man or king', must a man choose one or the other?

My apologies if this seems like a ridiculuous request, I think it was a very famous poet so it might ring a bell with someone. Thanks in advance!

• Maria Borg C. (12/5/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I was touched by an anonymous poem which Callum Best - George Best's son read out during his father's funeral. I would be so grateful if anyone could send me either the words or at least where to find same.

Thanks in advance
    Maria (maribcost@hotmail.com / maria@artec.com.mt)

Replies for this message:
    • Sally Hemingway (12/8/2005 4:15:00 PM) Post reply

Best's son read a poem by Julie McClelland: 'Farewell our friend, but not goodbye. Your time has come, your soul must fly. To dance with angels, find the sun, but how we'll miss our special one. ... more

• John Batch (12/7/2005 11:39:00 AM) Post reply

Maria - I too was so touched by the wisdom in the words of the first poem read at George Bests funeral. Have you been able to find the poem. I have been trying to find it aswell. Please let me know an ... more

• Gaylan Bolz (12/2/2005 9:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for 2 poems. One, I think is by Eliz. Barrett Browning.It refers to a sense of loss or confusion at the loss of one's parents. The 2nd poem I heard in a movie, The Snow Walker. It uses the metaphor of flight. The last line is 'reach out and touch the face of God'. I think the author is McGee, but I have been unable to findd it on this site.

• Ernestine Northover (12/8/2005 4:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Your second poem if by John Gillespie Magee 1922 -1941 Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings, Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling ... more

• Mark Haffner (12/2/2005 2:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem - it seems like it was written in the early romantic era by someone like Southey - about a young man who is trying to talk himself into getting out of bed on a freeeeezing cold winter's morning. Can anyone help?

• Sally Hemingway (12/9/2005 12:14:00 PM) Post reply

THE DEVIL'S WALK by Southey and Coleridge _______ 1. FROM his brimstone bed, at break of day, A-walking the Devil is gone, To look at his li ... more

• Rachel Edmead (11/25/2005 6:17:00 AM) Post reply

i read a poem when i was 8 years old, and i remember crying in the classroom. i typed in some words into google, and i have found a line from it, but that is all. the poet or title would be of great help, thanks.
    'O sharp and golden thorn, if only i might feel you pierce my heart once more! '
    i think this is from it anyway, it was about a robin and a rose.

• Carole Parrish (11/24/2005 8:43:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem that starts out 'Come little leave said the wind one day, Come with me and we will play'. I remember it from school years ago and cannot remember who wrote it or the rest of the words. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanx

• K S (11/14/2005 8:45:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem published in the New Yorker, I think in early 2002. Here's a quote: 'As if true love and its fraternal twin, the blues, possessed equally the powers of devotion and redemption.' Thanks!

• Catherine Lampi (11/14/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply

Hey i need the words to the poems The cat In The Hat...Green Eggs and Ham...In a people house! Thak You SOO much!

• Mike Smith (11/11/2005 4:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm trying to find a poem about a horse and his owner and they are going home in the snow. Its sounds crazy, but i just can't remember what it is called or the poet.

• Bob Inkley (11/16/2005 7:53:00 PM) Post reply

Try 'Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening' by Robert Frost. It seems to fit your description.

• Lucy Locket (11/7/2005 3:30:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for literary criticism / teaching materials for Carol Ann Duffy's 'Shooting Stars'.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

[Hata Bildir]