Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

• Mohammad Skati (8/19/2014 3:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem about countryside.

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (8/19/2014 4:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

A particular poem, or any poem about the countryside?" Pastoral" by Edna St. Vincent Millay is one.

• Nikolaos Nikolaou (8/15/2014 10:47:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hello to everyone here, you are a wonderful community.

I'm looking for a french poem of a rather minor poet
    which I had read years ago.

It is talking about a world that is made of the material
    which constructs the last step of a staircase when
    descending it in the dark.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this.
    I've been searching for it, for months.

Thank you in advance,
    Nikolaos

• Ray Moore (8/14/2014 8:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

l am looking for a poem l read in school in the 1940, s..lt is called The Haunt Of The Grizeely, lzzely Bear, can anyone help please.

• Ray Moore (8/14/2014 8:13:00 AM) Post reply Stage

l am looking for a poem l read in school in the 1940, s..lt is called The Haunt Of The Grizeely, lzzely Bear, can anyone help please.

• James Gilman (8/10/2014 5:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem written from the perspective of a middle eastern woman watching a girl eat an orange. That's all I have to go on...ring any bells?Thanks!

• Kevin Zeinalian (8/8/2014 11:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am looking for a poem that was written by a blind African American poet. If I am not mistaking he was graduated from one of Chicago universities and it was in 30s or 40s. I remember the First few line and it starts with " when all the poems on the theme have been written and all the night and day dreams dreamt without prophecy and fulfillment. When hop sustain us no longer......
    Although I checked Walton, or Bolton none was him. Any suggestions please?

• Laura Burns (8/9/2014 11:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

The poem is from Walter Benton's book This Is My Beloved: ENTRY September 12 When all the poems on the theme have been written and all the night and day dreams dreamt, without prophecy or f ... more

• Allian Bern (8/8/2014 12:32:00 AM) Post reply Stage

MIRROR WALL

Out of control
    We broke the chains that tied us whole
    A fire inside us, it melts our words
    Every secret has its own truth
    The more we keep it, the more it shows
    I'm not saying the words that are right
    And you keep doing actions that you hate
    The brain collides the beats of the heart
    Though it will not pause, more it will not stop
    Same question plays when we lie in our bed
    Rather to eject it, we load more instead
    We can't kill the living pictures in our head
    Wake or sleep it stays as we live
    But one thing pushes us to the wrong way
    It keeps dividing us as we step
    We want to look back but we're stiff necked
    I have a thousand words to say
    It's hard to let go all promises
    Have to pretend you are gone and dead
    Know you'll do the same thing as i did

http://poemhunter.com/allian-bern-ballares-fuentes/

• Brendon Morrill (8/7/2014 10:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

hello, I am looking for a poem i heard years ago. it involved " god" or someone who he/she has met in the afterlife explaining how he/it/she is exactly who he is asking. explaining that throughout his life he will be everyone from the poor on the street to the rich, and that we are all the same. i can't for the life of me think of how to find it.

• Cissy Vee (7/25/2014 7:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am seeking the title and poet of a poem in the classical style; I believe its subject was Endymion, or more properly, a statue of Endymion that had fallen and lies broken on the sands, prompting the poet's narrative as he gazes upon the remains. I had thought it might be Yeats', but I think that's wrong...
    Any help would be welcome-

• Laura Burns (7/25/2014 4:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Keats (not Yeats) wrote Endymion, but a poem about a fallen statue sounds more like Shelley's Ozymandias.

• Arthur Moore (7/22/2014 8:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The Little Maid Content. Hello everyone, When I was growing up my mother used to quote me this poem whenever I felt lost or was searching for meaning in my life. I don't believe she ever knew the poet's name and unfortunately I only remember the last lines of the poem myself. The narrator, using the little maid Content (contentment) as a metaphor to describe the meaning of life, goes in search of this elusive 'truth'. He cannot find it in the most exalted places, and the lowest of hovels reveal nothing either. On the battleground there is no sign of it, while the quietest of cloisters leave him perplexed as to its whereabouts. The poem ends, 'At last I like wounded bird did homeward crawl, and lo, Content sat spinning at my door. And when I asked her where she was before, " here all the time, she cried, " and though I called, you neither saw nor heard." ' If anyone recognizes this poem, please let me know. I would be so thankful.

• Laura Burns (7/23/2014 9:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The poem is " Content Written Off Ithaca" by Alfred Austin. You can find it on this site by looking for the title under " Poems" or by looking for Alfred Austin under " Poets. ... more

[Hata Bildir]