Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

• Rookie - 0 Points Aimee H (10/24/2014 1:23:00 PM) Post reply

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a poem that I think may be by either Robert Frost or Robert Service for my dad to read to my grandma who is dying. I remember her reading it to me probably twenty years ago and telling me it was one of her favourites.
    I don't remember any specific lines, just the idea of it.
    It was something about a man looking for god in a church and he wasn't there,
    looking for god in various other places and he wasn't there
    I think maybe a child died?
    And then, at the end the line is maybe " and I saw god" or " and there was god" , or " and saw the face of god" .
    I know this is very vague and I apologize, but if anyone knew what this may be, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you again,
    Aimee

• Rookie - 0 Points James Pemblington (10/24/2014 10:34:00 AM) Post reply

were looking for a poem that has the following line is, any help would be gratefully received;

" It's a plumber i am and im proud of me trade,
    and i tells ya, i cant understand why Kiplin should speak
    of his solders and squads
    when theres heros like me in the land?
    And i was once called form bed, on a cold frosty night
    to go to a house of a toff
    just to look at a tap of the scullery sink that they says they couldnt trun off
    so i puts on me coat and i puts of me hat and i goes to the house right away"

Thank you for any help

• Silver Star - 8,927 Points Mohammad Skati (10/22/2014 5:12:00 PM) Post reply

Is there any poem about a sailor who lost his boat away?I need some help. Thanks.

• Rookie - 0 Points Tom Mitchell (10/20/2014 9:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey. Does anyone on here know of any poems written about the British Empire or any of its individual colonies between around 1830 and 1870?Thanks.

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (10/23/2014 9:23:00 AM) Post reply

Samuel Rogers's " Written in 1834" is one. You can find it on this site.

• Bronze Star - 6,632 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/18/2014 9:59:00 AM) Post reply

I am interested in world classic poems even if they are older. The great Italian Poet Dante's Divine comedy is one among them. I likes to read the portions in such enthusiasm and pride in reading classic poems as a poem lover. It is also felt to read the reviews of the poems of classic to understand it well.

• Veteran Poet - 4,489 Points Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (10/14/2014 3:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for a poem which I read several years ago...some of the lines are: The night has a thousand eyes, the day but one...there's more to this poem and I believe that a lyrical poet named May Delano Rogers wrote it but I can't find any of her poems either.She used to get her poems published in the poetry magazine The Lyricist..

• Laura Burns (10/21/2014 3:14:00 PM) Post reply

" The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" is by the Victorian poet Francis William Bourdillon. You can find it on the Poemhunter site.

• Rookie - 5 Points Glen Dony (10/12/2014 11:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem " Forever Falling" by Janna Hill. I know she is an American poet.

• Jeffrey Jackson (10/13/2014 1:56:00 AM) Post reply

Her personal Email is mail@jannahill.net - go ask her which of her books it's in - Jeff Jackson

• Rookie - 11 Points Jeffrey Jackson (10/12/2014 4:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I am searching for a poem written during the first world war The poet, while on leave, went for a country walk and saw an elderly man ploughing a field with a horse. A large tree had fallen into the field and the ploughman had to plough around it. The poet held a conversation with the farmer and was told that all the young men of the village had gone to war so there was no one left to remove the tree. He went on to explain that the field should have been ploughed a month before and the crop should already be growing and that many from the village would not return to see it harvested. Shortly after this the poet died on the battlefield. any help would be appreciated,
    Jeff Jackson

• Silver Star - 8,927 Points Mohammad Skati (10/11/2014 12:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for any poem that praises Christopher Columbus or any poem about him. Thanks.

• Laura Burns (10/20/2014 9:20:00 PM) Post reply

COLUMBUS by Joaquin Miller Behind him lay the gray Azores, Behind the Gates of Hercules; Before him not the ghost of shores, Before him only shoreless seas. The good mat ... more

• Rookie - 5 Points Buckley Cathy (10/9/2014 1:47:00 PM) Post reply

Please help,
    I've a few lines from a poem I am keen to source;

" I watched her clip their wings one day,
    she said she'd keep them safe that way" .....
    " And in the night I heard the cry,
    Of wild swans soaring through the sky" ..

and that's all I can recall. Any ideas?

[Hata Bildir]