Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

• Rookie - 0 Points Guy Salmon (1/22/2015 4:26:00 PM) Post reply
    1 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

The solution to this would be the end of a 30 year quest...

My Dad used to quote this poem, I am horribly paraphrasing, but part of it had the lines..
    " Will the bonds that bind the atoms of this body,
    Still feel the same passion,
    When these atoms are spread across the far distant galaxies of the universe" .

The solution to this puzzle would be met with great joy! !

• Rookie - 0 Points Isabel Hudgins (1/20/2015 3:15:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for the English version of a poem by Octavio Paz called (original Spanish title) : " Noche de Resurrecciones" , from his book " Libertad bajo Palabra" . Any help would be appreciated!

• Rookie - 0 Points Al Howard (1/20/2015 1:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can someone tell me the title of the poem - believe it was in English Lit class from my senior year high school class in 1953 - that has in it " dust thou art to dust returneth was not spoken of the soul" .... " and the grave is not it's goal" ??? Between this one and " Daffodils" that is about the extent of my memory.

Thanks, Al

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 0 Points Laura Burns (1/20/2015 8:31:00 PM) Post reply

The poem is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's " A Psalm of Life." You can find it on the PoemHunter web site.

• Freshman - 1,946 Points Pijush Biswas (1/18/2015 8:59:00 AM) Post reply

hello.....I'm looking for a poem where a girl is compared to a rose, and the rose being extreme beauty is being snatched severally by many ones, , , , can anybody tell me what is the title of the poem...this story was once told by my friend, although now is forgot it's title....help me please.

• Freshman - 1,946 Points Pijush Biswas (1/11/2015 10:51:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, , , , I'm looking for a poem where as described a girl dying in repentance and a boy seeking for another beloved....Can anybody say what is the title of this poem...

• Rookie - 0 Points Sarah Breden (1/9/2015 1:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi
    Im looking for a poem that my Grandma used to say, but I dont remember much of it, I so hope someone can help. It could have been one she learned at school, or one from Chapel, as she was a very good methodist. All I remember is: -

There off, there off the race has begun
    Their silken jackets they flash in the sun.
    and
    It isnt a fortune, but oh its so sweet,
    and you cant come to grief when the favorites meet.

Sounds like a racing poem, I have looked everywhere, and in every book I pick up, but nothing.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie - 0 Points Kit Kennedy (1/1/2015 5:16:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, I'm looking for a World War One era poem (or possibly earlier, which may or may not have been written by Thomas Hardy. The narrator of the poem is writing to the woman he loves during the period between Christmas and New Year's and the poem contains a line at the end which is something like this: " My love only to you this late year date." But when I google this line, I don't come up with anything. Let me know if this rings a bell. Thanks!

• Rookie - 0 Points Mike D (12/27/2014 6:28:00 PM) Post reply

Hello. I had a book (or periodical issue) of poetry, and I'm looking for a poem that was in it. This was in Alabama, so maybe a poetry journal published by a University in the south? The book or volume was pretty old (from used book store) and I'm guessing it was published in 1960's or 70's. I think the title was simply " Trees Dance" , but maybe it had no title? The first lines of the poem were something like this...

(Note: parentheses show where I add a possible line, not part of the poem itself)

Trees dance, I said
    that is how I know
    that they, like us,
    are blessed with consciousness.

You are mad (or maybe " You are a fool" ;) , he said
    It is the wind that moves them
    (not themselves?)
    they are the moved,
    not the movers
    and it goes on like this for a couple more stanzas. It finishes with the poet saying that he/she meant the slow growth of the trees, not the movement from the wind
    it ends something like...

the long thin branches
    reaching up to heaven
    fingering the stars.

Does this ring a bell? I'd be much obliged if someone could help me find it! Thank you!

• Rookie - 0 Points K B (12/23/2014 12:20:00 PM) Post reply

Hello,

I'm looking for a Christmas poem that I remember from my childhood. I think it could be from the 'Song of the City' book by Gareth Owen but I'm not sure why I think that!

It goes:

Christmas at our house isn't like other Christmas's I've seen
    On calendars and Christmas cards where all joy is serene
    Where red faced husbands kiss their wives beneath sprigs of mistletoe
    and fat little angels sing carols and it always seems to snow

For a start my dad starts moaning before he is even out of bed
    and.....................................................................................................
    .........................................................................................................

That's all I can remember but it starts talking about different family members antics!

Can anyone help!

Thanks in advance

• Rookie - 0 Points Southern Wind (12/22/2014 11:28:00 PM) Post reply

A long poem, about flowers and love and people, things that pass away yet the memory remains, like the smell of flowers. A great wind came up from the south and carried the flowers that had died. About four lines from the end I smelled flowers.

[Hata Bildir]