Learn More

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Richard Cock III Male, 94, Vatican City State (Holy See) (5/5/2006 12:25:00 PM)

Any of you have any actualy methods or processes or even rituals that you go through before beginning a piece?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/10/2006 9:59:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I write in the evening normally, but it varies. Best thing to do is carry a notebook around with you 24/7 so even if you're on the bus and you get inspiration it won't go to waste! That means hide a notebook under your pillow too! :)

• Rookie Red Blooded Black Hearted (5/8/2006 6:25:00 PM) Post reply

I try and clear my head and then think of a topic that I feel strongly about. Sometimes I don't even need to do that, if something happened that mady me happy, angry or depressed all I need is a computer or pen and paper. I also read other poems that might give me insperation. I also find that talking to people if they have a problem, I can write about it for them.

I hope this helps you alot,
    best wishes from Marissa.

• Rookie Siona Doyle-McLaughlin (5/7/2006 7:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

No rituals in my case. Also, I found that I couldn't write poems that had to follow the specific teachings of formal poetry. Anyone who loves to write can be a 'poet' in his or her own right. What I find useful is to keep a pen/pencil and notepad on hand wherever I go. You never know when and what will inspire you. Also, it's good to always keep a pen and notebook on your nightstand. Some of my best writing flows out just before I drift off to sleep, or after I've woken up (especially after a memorable dream) .

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Richard Cock III (5/7/2006 8:25:00 PM) Post reply

nicely put. Thats what I both love and hate about writing in general. Its just so unpredictable! ! !

• Rookie Vega Star (5/6/2006 9:56:00 PM) Post reply

The only rule of writing is just let it flow.

• Rookie Nibedita Deb (5/5/2006 10:36:00 PM) Post reply

It may sound odd - but I make it a point to listen to some good music before inkning my pen to paper...regards, n.d.

• Rookie Dana Tyrrell (5/5/2006 3:57:00 PM) Post reply

i only write at night, that seems to help me and then i sit at my desk with my favorite pen(how lame!) and just let the ideas pour onto the page.

~Dana~

[Hata Bildir]