Learn More

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Nibedita Deb Female, 25, India (5/1/2006 9:46:00 AM)

Hi everyone,

Something that I wanted to know:

What is 'haiku' about. I hear a lot of discussion on this topic in this site and other, but till date I got to understand nothing but this that it is always very tiny. I may sound awkward - but the truth is I don't know and I NEED to know- I am in class 11 and till now I read nothing called haiku in my English syllabus or the poetry books I have referred to. Could I posssibly be helped?

Thx, - N.D.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Aldo Kraas (1/26/2007 9:30:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Haiku is a small poem
    can be of three words
    I seen written like that before
    To find about haiku
    You have to go to poetry.com
    There is a contest
    And you click the contest that says Haiku
    You have to go to google search
    That is as much as I can help you
    Because I myself don't know anything about haiku
    I am fimiliar with prose
    It is a poem that has 14 lines

• Rookie Sonny Rainshine (5/1/2006 12:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Strictly speaking, a haiku is a three-line poem with the first line having 5 syllables, the second having 7, and the third having 5. Typically the subject is something about nature, such as the moon, a bird, a flower, etc., and/or a season of the year. Traditionally, they should not make a glaring 'statement', but the meaning should be subtle and sharp, zen-like. Most were originally written in Asian languages, esp. Japanese. Because English is so different from Japanese, with different stresses and often monosyllable words, many poets do not completely adhere to the 5/7/5 format, but usually do keep to the 3 lines. When you follow the formula, it's easy to create haiku, but creating a really good one can be very challenging-there's not a word to spare. Check the work of an ancient poet called Basho-I'm pretty sure you'll find samples of his poetry on the Internet. He's considered one of the masters of the genre. I hope this helps, Nibedita.

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]