Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Nibedita Deb Female, 25, India (4/25/2006 11:56:00 AM)

Sometimes imitations of 'classic' works result into haphazardness. Specially with people like me - who are still young. Do you think Poetry should come first from intution and then from reading? Or do you think reading should be the first inspiration? How do yo exactly derive 'poetic sense'? Or, how do you think it should be done?

Expecting an honest reply...
N.D.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mike Finley (4/26/2006 3:12:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I never went to writing school or a workshop or anything. So all I had to help me learn was other poems. Whenevr I found a poem I liked, I would do what I call a 'Scan' of it, drafting an alter-poem to stand alongside it.

It couldn't have the same metaphor or come to the same conclusion. The idea was to learn how the poet created and controlled tone - which I think is really my only talent as a writer.

Oddly, I found this approach made me more myself, than a copy of these models. I don't know if I can explain it. It is a process like parallel play - Poet A does his poem there; I do mine here. It is competitive - mine has to be within shouting distance of his.

I stopped doing it 30 years ago, as themes and topics of my own forced allt hose things off the page.

But I feel gratitude toward those poems for giving me a play-platform on which to test myself. If you think about it, it is the same way we learn to talk as small children - imitation, then expression.

• Sonny Rainshine (4/26/2006 2:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I personally think it's important for a poet to read the work of other poets, because poetry writing is a skill and as with most skills we learn from people who have been doing it successfully for a long time. Intuition and creativity enter the equation when we try to be original. Just trying to do something 'new' does not always result in good poetry. It's kind of like some of those ads for laundry detergent: 'new, improved...'. Sometimes it just the same old stuff in different packaging.

[Hata Bildir]