Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Donnaj York United States (6/2/2013 8:57:00 PM)

My writing is my therapy.

Life is painful & joyful, stressful & pleasurable, difficult & marvelous.

Conflicting experiences and feelings get tangled together in my center, (where it feels that my soul resides within me, and morns for the mess that I am) .

Sorting out the different ideas; emotions; and subjects; separating this hodgepodge of feelings into appropriate words, then giving myself permission to put them into print for others to see, to read, critique, like or dislike, feels clarifying and brave and liberating.

And if anything I write might happen to be helpful or encouraging to anyone, it can be left behind when I'm gone. I like the idea of leaving pieces of myself scattered about the earth after I've left it.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Karen Gonzalez-videla (6/14/2013 1:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I really admire what you said. I love expressing my thoughts through words, and I believe it is fantastic to show the world part of you through poems. This is literally the best comment I have seen in this discussion section :)

Replies for this message:
    • Donnaj York (6/15/2013 11:56:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you. Your encouraging words gave my heart an all-too-rare little leap of joy. I do write for myself but appreciation is a beautiful gift.

• Greg Davidson Rookie - 1st Stage (6/7/2013 7:00:00 PM) Post reply

I too have found writing poetry to be a great catharsis. Its a way of overcoming the frustrations that life builds for me, to vent the hurts I have and sometimes provide the joy of being creative. A 20th century philosopher [ I think Noam Chomsky] maintained that we are creative beings and can be left discontent and unfulfilled unless we create something. I can not draw and for me the " shed" as never provided the comfort that words do.

[Hata Bildir]