Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Sherry Pedersen-Thrasher Female, 51, United States (7/15/2005 1:35:00 PM)

I only hope that something I write connects somewhere along the way..that it touches someone and speaks to them in a small voice. I believe I have so much to say but somewhere between the mind and the parchment the connection is lost in my own translation from feelings to the written word. I don't know.... Poetry has touched me and is teaching me to let loose, to be free and to share of myself..parts that are usually tucked deep inside, in my secret place..hidden in my heart's heart, where no one can touch them...the place where I am safest.. the place that longs for freedom.. In poetry, I have found a place to fly high.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Aldo Kraas (1/27/2007 12:48:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I agree with you 100%

• Greg Dent (7/21/2005 4:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Poetry is what makes us human.....It is the oldest known written communication. It separates us from the beasts, and gives us a unique place in the universe to call our own.

• Casey Rock (7/15/2005 4:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think you approach poetry in a much similar way that I do and I have read some of your poems-I believe they are quite moving! Just wanted to let you know that your poetry is, in fact, 'connecting somewhere along the way.'

• Michael Philips (7/15/2005 4:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Sherry, I know what you mean about having difficulty translating feelings to the written word, especially doing it in an original way. I even wrote a poem, 'Foreign Language' to describe that feeling. I find the best way to deal with it is to not be in too much of a hurry to complete a poem. I often write down my initial thoughts and feelings, then come back to them later and work on forming them into a poem I like. Sometimes it takes a long time and lots of reworking until I'm satisfied that I've 'translated' what's inside to the parchment.

[Hata Bildir]