Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Elie Abou Chaaya Male, 28, Lebanon (1/29/2005 2:01:00 PM)

well, you are right. there is standards for a good poem. i totaly agree. but what are these standards? they are too many, because in each poem, standards differ. but the concept is that poetry is straight from the heart, poetry describe its writer.
that's it.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Aldo Kraas (1/27/2007 2:00:00 AM) Post reply

No way
    Poetry has to flow like water
    It is the feelings tha comes from the heart

• Gina PrettyBrownEyes (2/15/2005 7:37:00 PM) Post reply

i agree with janice. there are no real 'rules', only to find a way to make the person feel the way you want them to. there are many ways to do that.

• dissatified exmember (2/1/2005 1:44:00 PM) Post reply

I often feel my poetry is being written for me in spirit. Thats probably going to sound stupid to you, but I sit down
    and it just flows out of me with very little effort. I was however trained to write poems and prose etc. I was an English major at University. So I guess the formal training did help.
    Yes there are rules to writing poetry. If you can bring a tear to an eye, a smile to a face and a tremble to a lip then you are well on your way. Further more. You have to make it easy to read. It has to flow. If it's hard to read because of words that don't fit or an uneven structure, the reader starts to skip parts and reads only sections. The end result is that they have lost the message your poem offers. Be careful not to change style half way through etc. It gets messy. Does this help?

• Laura Cummings (1/31/2005 8:35:00 AM) Post reply

Indeed, what are the standards of a good poem and who gets to decide on them? In the end it does not matter what you or i think of a poem its up to each individual reader to decide on the quality of a poem as people will read into things differently. As long as the poetry is 'straight from the heart' as you put it, then a poem can not be bad as it has fullfilled the intentions of the writter to express their emotions.

[Hata Bildir]