Learn More

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

JM Howard Female, 25, Canada (11/30/2004 8:01:00 PM)

I worked for a long time on trying to write good endings to my poems; trying to achieve that final epiphany that makes the poem stay with the reader. Once I got my head wrapped around that, I looked at my opening lines, realising that the first impression is crucial. That's when I noticed that they're all the same: a thesis, setting up the rest of the poem. Any suggestions on writing a captivating first line?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie glen still (1/13/2005 7:52:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Ya, don't listen to other people tell you how a poem should start or end. Your at an age where you trying to figure out general things with complex words. General words that define complex things are at the tip of your fingers. Don't push it, experience is a great attribute to a writer. Good luck!

i wrote this as a 16 year old:

baby is a dreamer
    her heart is caught in cage
    in her eyes you find illusions
    but they don't reveal her age
    she dances for all the little boys
    she loves the gifts they bring
    baby is a dreamer
    and her heart is captive rage

i doubt that i would write that now...but i did then.

• Rookie Susan Clark (12/20/2004 7:37:00 PM) Post reply

PS. Look to see if you can flip verses in your poems. Often the second stanza/ paragraph gets around to saying what could be better said in the first stanza/paragraph.

• Rookie Susan Clark (12/20/2004 7:36:00 PM) Post reply

My first lines are usually an introduction to the topic.......an realization.....a statement that will be followed by an explanation. But better yet, look to see how your favorite poets start their poems.

[Hata Bildir]