Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 7:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

As a Rather Ancient Brit, perhaps I should try to answer PH's question about Andrew Motion's poem on the Royal Wedding. But it's difficult to judge it without some sense of context. And I haven't studied this. When the wedding and the required poem from the Poet Laureate was announced, I was glad it wasn't my job, even at the official stipend of (I think - Linda?) £2000 per annum...
    A quick superficial reaction might be: a neat job of sitting on the garden fence, in Spring - avoiding the pitfalls of a factual, psychological, political, or brown-nose job, as Private Eye might put it. Motion instead goes out into the garden and appeals, subtly, to Nature, which the prince loves anyway - it's Spring, a new beginning, let nature take its course, just as a stream in Spring clears away the old twigs and blockages of the previous autumn. Neat? Positive, optimistic, upbeat. A troll-free 9 or 10 on poemhunter, I'd say?

Of course, for any other poet but the Poet Laureate, there is a fabulous classic fairy-story to be spun. The great framework of fairy story, as, say, a Hindu would interpret it, involves recognising that the 'Christening' in fairy-tale is effectively the birth of the new soul; the 'fairies' are the 'fates' who bring the tendencies, the fruits of actions in a former life; so there are good and bad 'fates' present. The Wicked Witch brings an Aristotelian major weakness of (former) personality which will bring the major crisis of the new life; while the Fairy Godmother, presiding over all (or the Lilac Fairy in the Perrault-based ballet of Sleeping Beauty) , brings the one gift of divine grace and love which will ultimately triumph.
    So you can see that there's a terrific classic fairy story to be spun from this saga of Fairy Prince as protagonist, and those good and bad christening gifts (self-pity? timidity? love of nature?)
    And - no thanks...let's stop there...

Replies for this message:
  • Linda Preston (4/10/2005 6:16:00 AM) Post reply

Hmmm.....that's actually quite deep for a royal wedding. As I said I'm a fan of Mr. Motions - I would say yes it grows on you. He wrote a good anti-war poem despite him being the Poet Laureate - so good for him.

• Poetry Hound (4/10/2005 6:06:00 AM) Post reply

This poem was written by Britain's Poet Laureate Andrew Motion on the occasion of the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles. What do you think of it (apart from what you think of Charles and Camilla) ?

Spring Wedding

I took your news outdoors, and strolled a while
    In silence on my square of garden-ground
    Where I could dim the roar of arguments,
    Ignore the scandal-flywheel whirring round,
    And hear instead the green fuse in the flower
    Ignite, the breeze stretch out a shadow-hand
    To ruffle blossom on its sticking points,
    The blackbirds sing, and singing take their stand.
    I took your news outdoors, and found the Spring
    Had honored all its promises to start
    Disclosing how the principles of earth
    Can make a common purpose with the heart.
    The heart which slips and sidles like a stream
    Weighed down by winter-wreckage near its source -
    But given time, and come the clearing rain,
    Breaks loose to revel in its proper course.

• Beste Alpay (4/8/2005 5:48:00 AM) Post reply

well, thanks for your replies and, adam you are really lucky, and ill try to find the book you mentioned.soon ill write a poem here.(maybe some parts of a few poems that would be better) thanks again...

• Beste Alpay (4/5/2005 6:50:00 AM) Post reply

hi im beste im new,18 years old, living in turkey.i have a problem with the poems written in shakespere english(i love it very much) sometimes i dont understand what it says.searched it on the internet but couldnt find anythin about the translate into common english.can anyone help me about it? ? ? ? PLEAAAASE i really really need your help! ! ! ! !

• Miranda Prochazka (4/1/2005 7:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello I am new, I love poetry and I live in the Uk...

• Sarah Groves (3/31/2005 8:52:00 PM) Post reply

You all have great poems.I enjoy reading them. I wrote this poem that is currently untitled. Please read it and tell me what you think. Maybe you guys can help me think of a name.

Sitting here
    is a long wait.
    Seconds feel like minutes,
    minutes feel like hours.
    I'm waiting for your arrival,
    not knowing who you are,
    or what you will look like.
    I have wanted you
    for the longest time.
    Years and years
    have gone by,
    still no sign of you.

• Stewart Mckenzie (3/28/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

I am gradually posting a collection of poems called RTFM (an acronym much used by technical support people) which may amuse members. The collection has as its theme the nature of poetic thought and the use of words as an artistic craft. Point PoemHunter's search engine at Stewart McKenzie to view the collection.

• Jodi Right (3/24/2005 4:35:00 PM) Post reply

Hiya everyone you peoms are great please have a look at my recent one and see what u think?

Desperation for Love

My heart eagerest for things unknown
    Unknown but wanted but needed
    Needed, since it is my heart that aches
    Aches for the sweetest touch of your hands
    Hands exploring my body, comforting my heart
    Heart lies open, so vulnerable but uncaring
    Uncaring yet guarded, yet persistent
    Persistent but hesitant and scared
    Scared for it may be hurt
    Hurt haunting my dreams spoiling my pleasure
    Pleasure in which I seek
    Seek I do but unsuccessfully
    Unsuccessfully is my life
    Life without love
    Love is all I want
    Want but cannot have

Thanx everyone hope u enjoy

• Ali Khorvash (3/24/2005 1:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hello everybody!
    I want to suggest you read the poem: YOUR PHOTO by SHIRIN PARVARESH.
    I found that very very senseful and beautiful.
    Its rating is 9.
    so I invite you all too read it and submit your comments and vote.
    Im sure that you will enjoy it!
    Ali

• Aldo Kraas (1/27/2007 1:25:00 AM) Post reply

I want you to sugest to read poems of Aldo Kraas Trade Martin Joey Christian Spirit Dancer

[Hata Bildir]