Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • kskdnj sajn (7/31/2006 10:29:00 PM) Post reply

Found this and thought it might help. Helped me. :)

Alliteration - Starting three or more words with the same sound.
    Example: The crazy crackling crops.
    Anapestic - A three syllable foot made of two unstressed syllables followed by one stressed syllable
    Example: comprehend, intervene
    Assonance - A repetition of vowel sounds within syllables with changing consonants.
    Example: Tilting at windmills
    Cliche - An overused word or phrase.
    Example: I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.
    Dactylic - A three syllable foot which is accented on the first syllable
    Example: merrily, lover boy
    Foot (Feet) - The units used in poetry- Feet are composed of syllables arranged in some kind of pattern of accented and unaccented syllables. There are five most commonly used sets of feet are iambic (iamb) , trochaic (trochee) , anapestic (anapest) , dactylic (dactyl) , and spondaic (spondee) .
    Example:
    Hyperbole - A large exageration, usually used with humor.
    Example: The fish was a football field and a granny long.
    Iambic - A foot consisting of two syllables where the accent lies on the second syllable
    Example: hello, avoid, the rush
    Idiom - A language familiar to a group of people.
    Example: Ya'll comin' to da party tonight?
    Metaphor - A word or phrase used to have a completely different meaning.
    Example: Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven' being a constant reminder of his loss and not truly a raven.
    Meter - The measured arrangement of words in poetry, as by accentual rhythm, syllabic quantity, or the number of syllables in a line.
    Example:
    Onomatopoeia - A word imitating a sound.
    Example: 'buzz', 'moo' and 'beep'
    Rhyme - Similarity of sound in the last syllable.
    Example: Spoon and Toon
    Simile - An expression that compares one thing to another using 'like' or 'as'.
    Example: The milk tasted like pickles.
    Spondaic - A two syllable foot that is comprised of two accented syllables-usually this is done in poetry by using one syllable words (like cat, dog) in a row
    Example: bread box, shoe shine
    Tercet - A group of three lines, often rhyming together or with another tercet.
    Example: The winged seeds, where they lie cold and low,
    Each like a corpse within its grave,
    until Thine azure sister of the Spring shall blow.
    Trochaic - A foot in with one accented syllable followed by one unaccented syllable
    Example: only, total

• Vikram Aarella - The Poem Shooter (7/31/2006 4:39:00 PM) Post reply

Hello friends,
    i am sort of addicted to this site since i found out about it, and since i have been writing like mad what i think as poetry and some of u might have read some of my poems and ur words of encouragement has made me race to my 100th poem ' Century of poems' which i have posted.
    But i am still not sure about the quality of my poems, i would like you people to read my 100th poem and give ur opinions.
    I am exhausted and have to rethink about writing poems in future, so please give ur opinions.
    Cheers
    Vikram

• Aj Cliff (7/30/2006 3:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hey everybody can people readmy poems and give pointers and such if you can please n thankyou

AJ

Replies for this message:
  • Konjit Berhane (7/29/2006 7:24:00 AM) Post reply

Hey there Great poets and amature ones like me...how are you all doing
    i hope Life is treating you Well and Beyond

well What i want to share is....while we are all in line we can't talk on this site...coz it doesn't have a chat page...

so what do you people say that we all open a Yahoo account then when we are online we can share our techniques....tips...but most of all our unique ideas...and social lives...what do you people say to this Grand idea...lol

well if anyone agrees....my address is Koni_bee@yahoo.com....

see you all in Messanger of yahoo....

YaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

**KoNi**

• Mathew Lewis (7/16/2006 2:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey abdul. I can't boast on being a good poet but my suggestion to you would be dont force it. It doesn't matter if the words are good enough. If they're good enough for you they're good enough for the world.

• Konjit Berhane (7/20/2006 10:30:00 AM) Post reply

Well Well abdul first welcome and what i want to say is i have the same problem so what i suggest we do is that i have stoped writing and started to read then may be i might improve but the thing is t ... more

• Abdul Basit (7/10/2006 11:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

sup ppl..m a newcomer not in poetry..just in here well ive bn writing for not much long but still my poems suck, well the problem with them is that they arent omplex, they are too basic like a 7 year old kid scribbled sum poems....i wanna make em luk complex, deep, compelling the reader to read it few more times to understand completely..if any gud poet like ta help me sort my weaknesses i wud very much appreciate that,

peace

• Ernest Mayer (7/14/2006 11:25:00 PM) Post reply

i wouldn't worry. your stuff is pretty good.

• Eddie Loughran (7/12/2006 6:36:00 AM) Post reply

I don't think your poems 'suck'! If you aren't happy with them, work on them ultil you are, and don't post them until they are up to your standards. But I still like them!

• Richard Cock III (7/11/2006 1:18:00 PM) Post reply

your stuff ain't bad. your just going through mad shit right now. just keep on writing.

• Maddi Eden (7/10/2006 1:47:00 PM) Post reply

Hey Everyone!
    I'm new to poemhunter.com, and I have added nine poems I've written over the last six weeks.
    I'd really appreciate it if you could read, and comment, on them
    Thanks!
    Hannah

• Mathew Lewis (7/7/2006 6:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey guys and girls. I know this isn't technically what this page is about but I've just posted a poem called Angel eyes and I'd really appreciate you reading it. I dont know if its any good but its about something really close to my heart and it would be great if you could comment on it. Thanks all.

• Aldo Kraas (1/26/2007 8:27:00 PM) Post reply

The angel eye poem is amazing It is very deep BY reading the poem I can see that you ar very romantic And like company Also you like angels

• Red Blooded Black Hearted (6/26/2006 9:22:00 PM) Post reply

Hey all! ! ! ! I only started on poemhunter this year and am still a baby on poem writing. I was wondering if u all could help me, all or most o my poems are rhymes and I was wondering of any techniques on writing without rhyme.

Hugs, Rissa: -)

• Dana Tyrrell (6/26/2006 7:24:00 PM) Post reply

hello all.
    ive been having a bit of a draught of fresh ideas and inspiration for new poems...can anyone help?

[Hata Bildir]