Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • john tiong chunghoo (5/31/2005 12:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

i find poetry very therapeutic. it gets ideas that come out of my mind into words and help me realise a better part of myself. i mean it gives me another dimension of myself. poetry should be used as a tool to help people know the different aspects of their existence and in psychiatry to help troubled people.

Replies for this message:
    • Sara S (2/13/2009 7:39:00 PM) Post reply

I totally agree... it helped (still helps) me.....

• Sara S (2/13/2009 7:38:00 PM) Post reply

I totally agree- it really helped (still helps) me........

• Kelly marie Berry (3/3/2006 3:26:00 AM) Post reply

can i say that i think that you are dead right. i had problems and found poetry helped me so it can help

• mujjj bilk (5/29/2005 10:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

helloooo

i recently learned (from others) that i'm pretty talented at writing poetry. Please, experienced poets, let me know your opinion.

• Eric Paul Shaffer (7/4/2005 5:10:00 PM) Post reply

Jamie-I read the first five of your poems. As a beginner, you probably need to read some poems as you begin your attempts at writing lines of your own. At this point, I suggest you read 20 poems for ... more

• Velmar Pewee Hale Johnson (5/26/2005) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have a problem which I was wondering perhaps others might also have. When I type my poems correctly, then click on submit, the poem has some of my words misspelled. Such as when I write the word drop, it posts as dropp. There are a few other words that mess up like that as well. Anyone else experiencing this problem besides me?

• Richard George (6/24/2005 1:26:00 AM) Post reply

You bet... Michael Shepherd has a funny poem about 'the pleonastic p'. I try and be 'philosophical' about it: there are so few outlets for us to publish our poetry. It's still a flea bite though.

• Seán O' Muiriosa (5/25/2005 4:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey everyone! I'm just after logging on to poemhunter tonight to find one of my poems with a rating of 2.6 out of 21 votes. I posted this poem last night and I actually thought it was one of my better ones... obviously that’s not what a lot of people think. If anyone can give me their view on my poem or their insight I would be very grateful, and hey even if you do think it’s bolocks, that’s fine! I just want to get a few opinions. Please feel free to send me a message or whatever or post back here. You can check it out at:

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=56229&poem=1229559

Cheers, Seán

• Seán O' Muiriosa (5/26/2005 4:26:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks very much Andrew and Velmar for responding to my initial message. It has been an education! Please feel free to get in touch with me, anyone with any tips or even just for a chat. Thank ... more

• Sunny Albright (5/18/2005 7:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello poemhunters! I hear there are some good discussions happening over here so I decided to peek in and introduce myself. I've really just recently discovered that I enjoy reading and writing poetry, and I am very interested in broadening my knowledge of this craft. I look forward to participating in this forum!

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (12/10/2005 9:23:00 AM) Post reply

welcome sunny, you are in the right place and you will soon get to meet great minds like micheal sherpherd and max.

• Michael Shepherd (5/12/2005 1:14:00 PM) Post reply

JC, your good news would be perfectly placed as 'poetry news' on the other, poetics page.

• Michael Shepherd (5/6/2005 12:33:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks for that and the original, PH. It's always stood out in her work - even just her singing of those two words...

• Poetry Hound (5/6/2005 9:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Regarding African-American poetry, I've always been quite moved by 'Strange Fruit, ' recorded by Billie Holiday in 1939. Okay, technically it's a lyric, not a poem. But it has the same power as a good poem, enhanced by Billie Holiday's voice. Anyway, I went looking for some background on the song, and this is really interesting. Although it was recently honored at a celebration of music by black composers at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and although Khallil Abdul Muhammad, Louis Farrakhan's notoriously anti-Semitic disciple, has quoted it in speeches assailing American racism, both Muhammad and the Virginia museum were unaware, apparently, that the song was written by a white Jewish schoolteacher from New York City - Abel Meeropol, who wrote under the pen name 'Lewis Allan.'

Strange Fruit

Southern trees bear a strange fruit,
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
    Black body swinging in the Southern breeze,
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.
    Pastoral scene of the gallant South,
    The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
    Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh,
    And the sudden smell of burning flesh!
    Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck,
    For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
    For the sun to rot, for a tree to drop,
    Here is a strange and bitter crop.

• Joseph Daly (11/11/2005 1:07:00 PM) Post reply

I'm glad that you made the point about Abel Meeropol being a white Jew, if memory serves me right, he was also a member of the Communist Party. I do remember coming across the poem many years ago a ... more

• Michael Shepherd (5/4/2005 4:33:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks, Jefferson, yes, I found the poemhunter ones. The Academy is always my first turn up - for their portraits if nothing else - but they're really stingy on some poets. You'd think it was in publishers' interests to allow more than one poem on such a site. I much enjoy Hoagland.

• Beste Alpay (5/4/2005 5:27:00 AM) Post reply

SORRY, i havent been able to message for a long time, thanks to everyone for your help with the dickinson poem :)

[Hata Bildir]