Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Henry Phillips (1/18/2006 11:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

I'm afraid to say that most of the poetry posted on this site is laughably trite and horribly cliched. The way to improve is simple:
    1) Do not write about your 'feelings' - they are neither remarkable or interesting and end up producing self-pitying or boring verse.
    2) Read more poetry. It seems that, despite claims to the contrary, very few of you 'poets' actually read poetry. If you did you would learn that your impressions and images are quotidien. Heed Hazlitt's advice - 'whenever you write a line you think is exceedingly fine, strike it out'.
    3) Why do so many of you equate poetry with sincerity? Keep a diary if you wish to write about your self.
    4) If you write in free-verse do it for a reason. Form is content (so said Joyce) - free verse was initially adopted by men like Hardy and eliot to reflect the 'ache of modernity'. It was used to express a sense of alienation from the notion of pattern in the universe. Free-verse should not be the 'easy option'.
    5) If you chose to write in verse please at least make sure that it scans. This is not a difficult task - if a line sounds odd its probably because the rhythms are out. Spend more time working on anomalous-sounding lines.

I hate to go against the trend of self-aggrandising praise but if you want to write poetry as opposed to doggeral you must desist from a simplistic out-pouring of emotion.

Replies for this message:
  • Yuliya Barannik (1/16/2006 4:49:00 PM) Post reply

Hello everyone!
    First of all, i love this site! lots of good poetry, both classic and new.
    i'm really a beginner, i mostly write prose in french and english but i've just put together a document of maybe twenty poems with illustrations, and i've submitted some here

http: //www.poemhunter.com/yuliya-barannik/poet-134072/

Whoever has time i would really love some critical feedback!
    Few people have read my poems (most of my friends aren't into poetry) so i have no idea whether my writings are worth anything, and whether the message is getting through.
    Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading more poetry.

• Martin A. Ramos (1/12/2006 2:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi. For those interested in oriental poetry, I have information on haiku and haiku writing I would like to pass along. Specifically what a haiku is and how one goes about writing one in English. If game, write me at this sight.
    Best, Martin

• Dan Brown (1/10/2006 11:42:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, I guess I'm fairly new here, though I've been here a few days.

Feel free to check out my work and tell me honestly what you think of it, be it good or bad.

I can't agree more with Fab Ricciardi's advice on writing, and he couldn't have put it better. Just write what you feel, what you think, what you like, what you hate! Just let it flow freely into your words.

It feels so liberating being able to express yourself, and NEVER be put off after reading other people's work. A poem is only as good as the poet thinks it is, so go ahead. Write. And if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Over and Out.

• Tamara Moir (1/10/2006 2:54:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, I have just posted some new poems on this site and was wondering if I could get some honest feed back from them...Thanks

*+*Tamara*+*

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=101568&poem=2287835

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=101568&poem=2287674

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=101568&poem=2293723

Thanks heaps

*+*Tamara*+*

• Jessica Mason (1/9/2006 9:51:00 AM) Post reply

I AN NEW TO THIS SITE AND I WRITTEN SOME OF MY PERSONAL POEM
    ON THIS WEB SITE TO GIVE U LITTLE MORE ABOUT LOVE AND THE UP AND DOWN OF LOVE
    SO CAN U PLEASE READ MY POEM AND RATE THEM AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK
    AND I AM ABOUT TO COME OUT WITH A BOOK AND I NEED TO KNOW YOUR OPINION MY POEMS
    SOME OF THESE POEM R GOING TO BE IN THERE.

JMASON

• Fab Ricciardi (1/8/2006 9:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Tips on writing Poetry? ! ?
    Write, just write...words, thoughts, feelings, whatever, write, write, write. Write like a dog with many fleas that needs to scratch, write, write, write. It'll all come together, scratch, scratch, scratch! !
    Please read and comment on my poetry, all comments appreciated!

• Shay Markham (1/8/2006 8:00:00 PM) Post reply

My name is Shay and I live on approval from others. I know it's a sad way to live but i can't help it. I have no other source of happiness. So please comment my poems, and let me know if they scare you or if they suck. Either way i'm a failure.
    happy talking to you all.
    bye for now

• Dian Just Dian (1/7/2006 9:00:00 AM) Post reply

Hi I am just Dian and I am also new to this site, I have enjoyed reading here, so many talented poets, I love to write and it is the thing that makes me most happy at this time, I hope someone will comment on my writings, thank-you.

• Mary Ann Najjar (1/3/2006 8:05:00 AM) Post reply

I love this website, it allows me to express my thoughts for free.
    I love it whenever i received feed back about my posted poems.
    This hobby is new for me and it's my first time, so please check my works and give your contructive advise, so i could improve and deliver for meaningful poems.

[Hata Bildir]