Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Ronald Clark (2/27/2007 6:48:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I forgot to mention. If you do bring your poems around with you i suggest making copies in case you lose the poem book. I learned this the hard way. Last year i lost my poem book for a week and it ended up being in my french class. ANd again this year i lost the same book, and it ended up in the football teams hands. THe were reading my poems everyday i heard, and i had random football players tell me i had good poems and others say i was a loser. However, i managed to save a few of my poems on my cell phone, thankfully. They threw away my book in the end, destryoing more than half of my poems. However, every down goes up and i have just started where i left off, with better poems. Sorry for the double post! ! ! !

Replies for this message:
    • Jade Hymora (5/7/2007 2:16:00 PM) Post reply

Well that's an interesting warning to all poets who lose things like I do. Forgetfulness and poetry don't mix.

• Ronald Clark (2/27/2007 6:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well im not sure how much this may help all of you, but i find these place to be the best time to wrte my poem.

1. In the shower (I constantly find myself thinking of lines in the shower, memerizing the lines, then running to my room to write the lines down)

2. Math Class (I am really bad at math so i find myself writing poems, in the margins of my math notes)

3. When im lying in my bed at night (Its during these times of silence when our thoughts become more loud and clear, or atleast for myself)

Also, i have been told by many other poets that always try and carry around a little note book to write anything that might be inspriational leter on. Write down funny or serious things you see during the day and maybe something will come to you. Also save everything you write ina organized place cause there is nothing like finding old poems you thought you lost, and reading them like its the first time.

Replies for this message:
    • Jade Hymora (5/7/2007 2:13:00 PM) Post reply

Good places! I find my self thinking of poems in math class as well (I hate math it's a waste of a class) I also tend to do it after an arguement with somebody Or During lunch (they say har ... more

• Phillip Sawatzky (2/26/2007 1:01:00 AM) Post reply

A few things I remind myself to practice:
    1) Read, read, read. Read a variety of literature and poet's work. Find a poet you really like and read that person's work daily. Study what makes that poet's words resonant and connect with you. Pay attention to the tone of words used in the context of the whole poem. Even try emulating a poet's style for practice.

2) Write, write, write. Write every day, even when you don't feel like you have anything to say-try writing a poem a day for a month. Don't worry if its any good-to paraphrase William Stafford, just lower your standards and do it!

3) Find other poets around to connect with. Adopt a mentor, living or dead. And read what that person had to say about the art. Me, I chose William Stafford, because he unravels a whole, profound world in even the most ordinary things or circumstances, he writes succinctly, and uses verbs in ways that are unexpected, and keep a charge going, he is at home in nature and in the human element, and is always aware of the intertwining relationships of place and time, of earth, sky, animal, human-because he has a confidence of character that comes from living a good life, good in the sense of upholding his values of working for the highest good. Those and more. An excellent book he wrote on writing is, Writing the Australian Crawl-one of the very best. Poemhunter has a few of his poems on site-I'd recommend, The Darkness Around Us Is Deep, as a collection and starting off point.

4) Be mindful of what's going on in the moment, around you as well as inside you-there you will find the threads to follow in writing. Listen more than speak.

5) As you write a poem, say the words out loud and listen how they sound and feel as you hear them-listen for the flow, the rhythm and tone of the words.
    Play with sentence length, line breaks, structure.

6) Try writing in different forms-try a sonnet on for size, haikus, couplets, sestina-if you don't know what a sestina is, find out and write one. Its a good way of opening up possibilities and breaking out of ruts. Try writing from a different perspective than first person.

7) Details, details, details. make a list if that helps.

8) Frustrated? Just leave that damned poem alone for a while, then come back to it. Eventually, you'll get a new take on it, a new angle-I've had to totally dump a poem because I was forcing it to be something it wasn't, then go back and write what it really was/is. That's where keeping a journal helps me, having that reservoir of thoughts, stories, observations, emotional outbursts, etc..

9) Don't worry about finding your voice. You have your voice. Just use it and exercise it.

10) Try writing automatically without censuring yourself, now and again-I set the timer for 4-5 minutes, do a little meditation to clear my mind, and go!
    The main thing is, dont stop to think or ponder more than a second-if you get stuck, have a specific letter, let's say, 'T', and when you're stuck write the first word beginning with 'T' that comes to mind and keep writing. Do it a few times, and you'll likely be amazed at what comes out of you.

11) When you complete a poem, and it seems to stand on its own feet pretty well, read it outloud, and give yourself a pat on the back.

12) If you compose on computer, always make a copy on paper-helps to space-and -half or double-space the lines-and use pencil or pen to edit and re-write.

That's all for now. Best wishes in your writing. Phillip

• Rookie - 1st Stage Petra Creffield (2/24/2007 6:09:00 PM) Post reply

some new poems on my profile if you have the time / inclination to have a browse :)
    Px

• Rookie - 1st Stage Jan Oskar Hansen (2/13/2007 3:41:00 PM) Post reply

Instant Attraction.

In the queue buying lottery tickets, last day, last chance
    to win a fortune, I turned and there behind me she was
    the Chinese lady, our eyes met, I had known her all my
    life. Instantly every detail of her face was engraved on
    my mind, if I met her later dressed as peasant woman,
    in Shanghai I would still recognized her

At the local café I ate fresh Danish pastry, drank newly
    brewed coffee when she came in and sat behind me,
    tremor in hands couldn’t read was acutely aware of her
    presence, too self conscious to get up without breaking
    a cup or turn to speak to her, but we’re meant for each
    other, something has to give.

Pondering my own feelings I got a little distracted, so
    when I finally turned to look behind me, she was gone;
    had another pastry, remembered she was the Mandarin
    lady that decorated every mess hall on every ship I have
    sailed on; at meal time she looked straight at me and no
    one else in the room.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Slick Sorathiya (2/13/2007 11:28:00 AM) Post reply

Focus on a particular topic, imagine what i'd be like to experience what you're writing about. Oh and yes have hidden meanings in your poems they really get the readers hooked.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Rownel Allen (2/10/2007 12:06:00 PM) Post reply

Hi;

I didn't have any formal education about poetry. I just write to express my feelings. Please advice what areas I need to improve on. I hope to write more poems about life, love and romance.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lucy Marskell (2/8/2007 3:15:00 PM) Post reply

Hey i'm new to this site and i was just wondering wot you think of my poems and how i can improve them..

• Rookie - 1st Stage Goldy Locks (2/6/2007 5:46:00 PM) Post reply

Leader, a

Two followers.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Jan Oskar Hansen (1/30/2007 1:42:00 PM) Post reply

Cold Scenery.

The fat duck stands on ice, the pond
    has frozen over, shifting its appetizing
    weight from leg to leg, must be cold.
    Little snow around, too cold for that;
    so why doesn’t it stand on some dead
    grass? An arctic fox sneaks up wears
    expensive fur, but as it lunges the bird
    jumps up in the air, the fox loses its
    balance and slides to the other side of
    the pond; gets up runs, head down to its
    hole in the ground, by the cold boulder.
    The duck stands as lost in thoughts,
    the Nordic landscape is perfectly still
    and the sun is a frozen Florida orange

[Hata Bildir]