Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

• Richard Thripp (4/16/2014 7:58:00 AM) Post reply

Abandon embarrassingly-intimate, quasi-poetical, nauseatingly-pathetic postulations on this transient life and get your act together.

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/12/2014 12:30:00 AM) Post reply

I feel challenged by. Writing poetical lammentations of impoverished Africans. The world looks and gives no aid to a continent that once provided. Other idiots with cheap labour. A continent. They devided amongst themselfs. A continent I just look and say

." God. Help. Africa."

• K.C Colt (4/11/2014 1:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I've been writing poetry for a many years and each time it gets challenging more and more.

Replies for this message:
    • Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/11/2014 5:02:00 PM) Post reply

As the old saying goes, " If you are not yet challenged by your own writing, you haven't started. " Keep writing man.

• Isaiah Rodrigues (4/10/2014 8:00:00 AM) Post reply

when I'm around you everything wrong felt so right
    even in my arms i held you in spite
    our differences wanted to make you my miss
    now all I see is dusted and fake kisses

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/9/2014 4:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If writing is your career, you should be writing right now
    If writing is your Hobby, you must be asleep by now.

• Daniel Brick (4/8/2014 11:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The 19th century English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge write several definitions of poetry. ONE of them (I'm paraphrasing) " the best words in the best order." Great! But that gives a very important task to fulfill, namely, to find the BEST words. You have to sift through your vocabulary, check a dict'y or thesaurus, write a draft and look it over and MAKE CHANGES that improve the expression. That's what writing poetry is all about. The notion that poetry is an inspired spontaneous flow of words that spills on to the page and spills some more and some more - that's writing a diary or journal, which is preliminary writing to poetry writing. It's actually very helpful as one of my poetry teachers, Michael Dennis Browne, told the class. Why?Because you empty all the junk in the front of your mind onto paper, get rid of it, so your truest, deepest thoughts can arise. Try it. You'll be amazed at this process. Eventually, you won't have to spend as much time EMPTYING your mind and you will get to the good stuff much faster. Also, if poetry is indeed the BEST WORDS, you don't need to write 40 lines,50 lines, _____lines, you fill in the blank. A poem is meant to be compressed. It a bundle of energy waiting to explode! Trust your readers' imaginations to be launched into visionary space by the explosion you set off. How can they soar imaginatively if your poem goes on and on and on. There was a modern Latin American poet who wrote one poem a week for many years. On Sunday she wrote a draft of the week's poem on a blackboard, then for each day Mon. through Sat. she erased some of it, everyday the draft got smaller, leaner, more compressed. By the next Sun. she had a diamond-poem!

• Richard Blay (4/9/2014 3:16:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with you Dan... my opinion about poem is..., turn a whole book into one page, then, turn the one page into a paragraph, then, turn the paragraph into a sentence, and if possible, turn that sen ... more

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/9/2014 1:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

That's very true, poets don't have the patience to annayse and eddit. Their own poetry but. Instead. Take the. Poem hunter space to Look for an audience, forgeting that the Poetic Audience is Out ... more

• Daniel Brick (4/8/2014 11:06:00 PM) Post reply

First things first! I want to add my appeal to those who have already written this forum is about poetry, it's not poems. Publish those at your site. Here we discuss the process of writing poems, so that we become better poets. I've been involved with POEMHUNTER since last Oct. I've published just over 33 poems in that time which I consider a lot! They have all gone through extensive revision, which is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. I have often been importuned to read poems by the poet himself or herself. Well, well, except in a very few occasions I have waited patiently - what other kind of waiting is there?- for people to discover my poems. And they do. Steadily but slowly. Here's a suggestion - first, a warning: Too often I read at my Poems Site a comment like this: NICE POEMS. I LIKE THEM. READ MINE AND GIVE ME COMMENTS. Well, to be perfectly, bluntly honest, that kind of statement does not encourage me to read said poet's poems. You squeeze out 5 words about my sincere efforts and then expect me to read and comment on YOURS! The first time you read someone's poems, just stay in that reading/appreciation frame of mind. Show by your comments you have REALLY, HONESTLY read them. Let the poet for whom you are expressing appreciation discover your poems. Don't ask them!

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/8/2014 1:37:00 PM) Post reply

Start by writing a phrase. Like;

I remember.........................

And continue. Writing what you remember . Don't think about. The sense of what you are writing. But just write.

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/8/2014 1:32:00 PM) Post reply

This forum lacks poetic professionalism. As writer. Let's follow instructions just for once. Stop posting your poetry here, and start telling us. How to write a poem, or. How you write. Poetry, what inspires you and. Other. Forms. Of poetry that you are. Familier. To.

• Sir Zvavanhuvevhu (4/8/2014 1:07:00 PM) Post reply

Teach me to swim.
    I don't want to go  the  gym.
    Teach me  a Hymn
    That I can hum.
    Teach me all.
    That a child  should know.
    Teach me to walk in snow. 
    When the festive season is new.
    Teach me

By Sir ZVAVANHUVEVHU. Jerry Mugweni 

[Hata Bildir]