Learn More

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

• Rookie - 413 Points Marieta Maglas (11/20/2014 11:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

The essential rules of poetry are: to keep the poetry coming, to read poetry by others, to study the poetic forms, to attend open mics (listen to the spoken word) , to look for other rules to bend, to revise, to connect with other poets, to share your work, to submit and to publish on your own.

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 24 Points Masoumeh Alizadeh (11/18/2014 5:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

hello every body

• Freshman - 1,956 Points Pranab K Chakraborty (11/17/2014 11:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

A dreamer can't write poetry, poetry is the subject of illustrator who illustrates by words the dream of his/her own or of others. Poet illustrates beauty of the universe and extract beauty from extreme ugliness (if degree could be applied to define extremity) . Any way, word-artist who illustrates past-present-future, to be, not to be, etc. Poet enver waits to dream callously. Always poet fights to penetrate through dark to throw light of his/her own.

• Freshman - 1,956 Points Eric Ericson (11/22/2014 5:47:00 AM) Post reply

I will ask you to clarify what you mean by " a dreamer cannot poetry" . I am a dreamer and I write. Or do you mean one who only dreams and never by actions brings dreams to life?

• Freshman - 1,956 Points Elizabeth Padillo Olesen (11/18/2014 1:36:00 PM) Post reply

Maybe poetry can start as a dream in mind and heart, awakened by feelings and convictions and opinions on situations and happenings before us or around us. But it does not end there because poetry als ... more

• Freshman - 1,174 Points Elizabeth Padillo Olesen (11/16/2014 5:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Writing poetry is catharsis in itself, an exercise in self-expression that is healthy in mind, spirit and body.

• Rookie - 941 Points Soul Watcher (11/13/2014 8:47:00 AM) Post reply

Hey Guys! !
    who has the ability to write poetry in Arabic?I love reading that kind of poetry. :)

• Rookie - 187 Points Liqi Leakey (11/10/2014 2:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

ah, poetry is funny! i have been right for few years now..sometimes i loose morale and i would go for a month or two without writing anything if this happens, i am drawn back to writing and i find it a strange business again..even my old poems sound like they were never written by me.
    the choice of vocabulary seem strange and yet i wrote them.

• Rookie - 187 Points Mohammad Skati (11/12/2014 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks for your coming back. Please always look forward to write new poems and never stop. Thanks.

• Rookie - 800 Points Pijush Biswas (11/8/2014 8:35:00 AM) Post reply

Help me...if somebody gives tips, I would be able to improve my techniques and creative ideas.

• Rookie - 800 Points Pijush Biswas (11/8/2014 8:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Help me...if somebody gives tips, I would be able to change my techniques and creative ideas.

• Rookie - 800 Points Eric Ericson (11/16/2014 10:37:00 AM) Post reply

The best advice I can give you is to read poetry. read it aloud. Think about the meter. does it rhyme or not? Do you like it?do you like the rhyme?(why and why not) How would you do it differently? ... more

• Gold Star - 11,279 Points Mohammad Skati (11/8/2014 8:25:00 AM) Post reply

Anyone can the poetry he likes or she likes, but gifted people (poets or poetesses) have their own ways in showing things or persons in a different way. Thanks.

• Rookie - 46 Points Jon Hadley (11/6/2014 9:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Someone asked me today, how do I write my poems and it got me thinking, how do i?
    Because 100% of the time I do not think of a word or an idea for a poem, I just put a pen on paper and a poem happens.

The best way to think of it I suppose would be,
    My emotions use my hands, to create a poem, based on how they see and how they feel. And only after it is done my mind is allowed to catch up and admire what they have written

[Hata Bildir]