Fernella Smythe Poems
- An Ode To My Love? I search vainly for the words to describe ...
- Fear Fear paralyses my body Fear strangles my dreams Fear ...
- Now You Are Six Now you six (With apologies to A.A. Milne) ...
- A Day On The Futon A day on the futon I’m sick I’m ...
- Now Now I’m alone, Now I’m fantasizing about the ...
- He’s Concerned He’s concerned about my emotions He has ...
- My Life I live alone Sometimes by choice
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Fernella Smythe
An Ode To My Love?
I search vainly for the words to describe my beloved
I look to childhood friends, masters of verse and prose
Yet I return empty-handed
The bards do not have the words
Shakespeare has too many these and thous
Keats waxes too antique
Byronic swoon are overdone
Neruda is lost in translation
Barrett Browning is too fawning
And as for the modern giants
Their free verse monoliths freeze me to the bone
How can I describe my love for you?
When love’s still a mystery to me?
I sense what it is not but I see darkly what it is
The goal posts move position every ...