Eavan Boland Poems
- The Pomegranate The only legend I have ever loved is the ...
- My Country In Darkness After the wolves and before the ...
- Outside History These are outsiders, always. These ...
- Ode to Suburbia -new- Six o'clock: the kitchen bulbs which blister ...
- That the Science of Cartograph... -new-
- The Black Lace Fan My Mother G... It was the first gift he...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The only legend I have ever loved is
the story of a daughter lost in hell.
And found and rescued there.
Love and blackmail are the gist of it.
Ceres and Persephone the names.
And the best thing about the legend is
I can enter it anywhere. And have.
As a child in exile in
a city of fogs and strange consonants,
I read it first and at first I was
an exiled child in the crackling dusk of
the underworld, the stars blighted. Later
I walked out in a summer twilight
searching for my daughter at bed-time.
When she came running I was ready
to make any ...