Clifton King Poems
- Sestina To My Daughter, And My...
- 87 Rue Claude Monet We wander the country roads of France, ...
- Giverny Garden The garden is raucous with yellow and ...
- Omaha Beach Normandy, France today
- San Francisco Bus Ride Across the aisle from us, a big man,...
- Sunday Shoes I don’t own a pair of Sunday shoes, leather ...
- Neighborhood Boys — for Jimmy, Brian and Richard There ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Clifton King
Sestina To My Daughter, And My Daughter's Daughter
My daughter was born in the morning,
following the sun into my heart
where I could not tell one from the other;
where love, saved and hidden away
for months could now be set free.
She, mere minutes old when I knew
what every father before me knew;
what every sunrise means to the morning
sky; why men wage war to be free.
Then, in what seemed like a heart-
beat, the school bus pulled away
that first day destined for the other
side of the world, or the other
end of the galaxy, for all I knew.
For years my child took me away
from the ...