Birgitta Heikka Poems
- Mummy, The Praying Mantis Mummy is a praying mantis her head...
- The Barefoot Prophet On The Be... The yawning sky ...
- I Wear Neutral I wear neutral The color of the sand The ...
- My Lagos Under the Tropical sun, strung Rumbling like the ...
- More Haiku Sliding from the hills, a peripatetic path ...
- Decoys The chameleon leaned on the lamp post His designer ...
- Gene Tag Carved is a mark on my thigh an imperfect rhombus ...
Born to a Swedish father and a Nigerian mother in Lagos, Nigeria. more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Mummy, The Praying Mantis
Mummy is a praying mantis
her head bowed, her hands clasped,
her knees bent.
From dusk to dawn
in her position, humble
she sees only the things below.
I want to raise her up
and make her stand straight
and tell her to look up
to the heavenly skies.
I want to tell her that down there
crawls the little creatures
who want her humiliation,
and up there is her creator
who wants her humility.
Mummy is too yielded now
shaped like the praying mantis
her head abidingly bowed
her hands abidingly clasped
her knees abidingly ...