- Real Freedom Real vision is that which sees the One ...
- Atthi Chudi
- Break But Do Not Bend Would a pillar of granite, When it is ...
- Demanding Companion O ye troublesome stomach of mine! You ...
- O King, Is There Anything Unat... O king, is there ...
- Real Life-Saver Just because your brother and sister are ...
- Worth Four Crores Not crossing the threshold of those that ...
The Avvaiyars (Tamil: ஔவையார்) "respectable women" was the title of more than one poet who was active during different periods of Tamil literature. The Avvaiyar were some of the most famous and important female poets of the Tamil canon. Abithana Chintamani states that there were three female poets titled Avvaiyar.
Among them, Avvaiyar I lived during the Sangam period (c. 1st and 2nd century CE) and had cordial relation with the Tamil chieftains Paari and Athiyaman. She wrote 59 poems in the Puṟanāṉūṟu.
Avvaiyar II lived during the period of Kambar and Ottakoothar during the reign of the Chola dynasty in the 13th century. She is often imagined as an old and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
is that which sees
the One only
beyond the many;
is that of the person
who has conquered for good
the senses five;
is that which places
you in the state
And real food
is what you consume
when you are totally
and where you are not
under any command
and where you are neither
slave nor servant…